Product Review: ASUS VivoTab RT TF600T-B1-GR 10.1-Inch 32 GB Tablet
Price Range: $500 – $550
Who Would Buy This: Those shopping for a high performance touchscreen tablet suitable for both entertainment and business use.
- The ASUS VivoTab has a sleek grey metallic finish with a noticeably large black bezel surrounding the display, giving it an ultra-modern look. At just 0.33″ in thickness with a weight of only 1.16 lbs, the device is incredibly portable yet still solid and rugged in construction.
- Visually the VivoTab is a joy to view due to its large 10.1″ HD display which has a Super IPS+ panel and a maximum resolution of 1366 x 768. The 10 finger multi-touch display provides excellent response times so it’s very user-friendly to use.
- Hardware wise, this tablet has a solid spec. The Tegra 3.0 quad-core processor runs at a speedy 1.3 GHZ plus there is 2 GB DDR3 RAM to deliver fluid, powerful performance. A 32 GB HDD provides the storage, which is expandable to 64 GB total storage via a flash card.
- Front and rear cameras give you plenty of scope for shooting video and photos. There is a 2 megapixel front camera which is handy for video chat, and an 8 megapixel rear camera which features flash and auto-focus.
- The thin sloped edge of the tablet features several standard connectivity options which include a microphone input, headphone jack, micro HDMI port plus a microSD card reader slot. Asus includes a USB adapter with the device so transferring files is made easy.
- Two stereo speakers are built-in to the tablet, giving you clear stereo sound to hear music and sound effects in good clarity.
- MS Office 2013 is pre-installed with Windows RT, making it great for business related tasks straight out of the box.
- Battery life is outstanding (approx 9 hrs) and is extended further by up to 15 hours using the mobile dock.
- Apps are currently a bit thin on the ground due to the reliance on the Windows Store. However, the range of apps available is increasing at a good rate.
- While the speakers offer stereo sound, they don’t have much loudness so in environments with background noise audio can be difficult to hear.
- The keyboard and track pad are a bit fiddly to use due to their small size. However, it’s still a step-up from just using the touchscreen.
Guarantee: 1-year warranty.
Value for money?
The ASUS VivoTab RT TF600T-B1-GR is a great first foray into the world of Windows RT tablets and a seriously versatile device. Its styling and hardware are impressive plus its ultra-slim build and lightweight makes it ideal for those who need a tablet to take out and about.
The flexibility of being able to use it with a keyboard is a positive aspect although the size of the keyboard and track pad makes it a bit too cumbersome for long work sessions if you’re going to be doing a lot of typing. Still, if you’re after a tablet for business use it’s a better choice than the iPad.
We consider the VivoTab to be good value especially when considering Asus have threw in the keyword dock for free.