Product Review: Breville BES840XL the Infuser Espresso Machine
Price Range: $450 – $500
Who Would Buy This: Those shopping for a mid-range espresso machine which effortlessly produces coffees with rich flavour and taste.
- The Infuser Espresso Machine is built robustly as you’d expect from a Breville appliance, with quality components and a sleek stainless steel finish.
- Amongst the improvements over the previous model is the smaller width of the unit. At just 10.2-inches wide, this machine won’t be looking too imposing on your countertop.
- Using a process known as pre-infusion, the Infuser starts by applying low pressure to expand the coffee grinds then gradually increases the pressure to produce a balanced extraction which results in an espresso drink with full, rich flavour.
- The 1600-watts thermocoil heating system has been engineered to regulate the water temperature so the machine outputs water at an ideal heat level.
- The PID temperature control system ensures the temperature remains consistent during the brewing process for the best quality shots.
- A long 360° swivel-action steam wand provides steam on demand for frothing milk ready to be mixed with the shot for a creamy and delicious coffee.
- The drip tray can be easily removed from the unit for easy cleaning. The Empty Me indicator indicates when the tray is full so you only remove it when required.
- A wide range of accessories are included, which include;
– Coffee scooper
– Cleaning tool
– Cleaning disc and tablets
– Stainless steel jug
– Two Single & Two dual wall filter baskets
– Water filter holder
- The short one year warranty is too short for a machine in this price range.
- There is no pre-set timer to schedule the machine to start at a specific time. This is a little disappointing for us early birds who want a fresh espresso waiting as soon as we wake up.
Guarantee: 1-year warranty.
Value for money?
The Breville BES840XL the Infuser Espresso Machine is a good improvement over its predecessor with several tweaks and improvements to its functionality. Most notably, the thermocoil heating system eliminates the leakage issues which were problematic with the thermoblock heating system in previous models.
We feel this machine is fairly good value, particularly if like many you drink coffee every day. Although those who want maximum control over the brewing process should look for another machine which features temperature control.
So to recap, this machine is well built, highly functional and quickly serves up espressos any Italian would be proud of.