Product Review: Toshiba Satellite S855-S5379 15.6-Inch Laptop
Price Range: $750 – $800
Who Would Buy This: Those shopping for a premium quality standard laptop that has enough power to be future proof for casual use.
- Sleek, gorgeous styling makes the Toshiba Satellite S855-S5379 stand out from the crowd. The Ice Blue colored brushed aluminium finish looks trendy and sophisticated.
- Memory chip power is more than adequate. The power of the 2.4 GHZ Intel Core i7-3630QM internal processor gives for fast response that translates for a smoother operation of the system. 6 GB DDR3 RAM provides enough power to handle today’s memory intensive applications.
- Ample storage for many large data files is provided by the 640 GB hard drive.
- The architecture of the keyboard has a somewhat different feel to it than most other laptop keyboards. The keys have a responsive feel to them along with the availability of having a full number pad is convenient.
- Responsive track pad is a nice enhancement to have when the glide feature is enabled. Multi-touch control provides intuitive navigation with Windows 8’s Modern gestures.
- Speaker sound. Once the boosters and equalizers were synchronized the sound quality from the stereo speakers was acceptable.
- The handy USB Sleep and Charge feature allows you to charge your electronic devices such as smart phones when the laptop is in sleep mode or even switched off. Those who are frequently on the move will love the convenience of this feature.
- Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity accommodates extra peripherals such as gaming headsets or even the transfer of data from smart phones. Two high-speed USB 3.0 ports provide high speed data transfer when connected to compatible devices.
- The Li-ion battery provides up to 12 hours of usage depending on how power intensive the tasks you are doing.
- Meets Energy Star 4.0 standards.
- Wireless connectivity seems suspect at times. At times of heavy usage, the wireless receiver seems to be sluggish, even though the signal bar shows full strength. This is an intermittent situation, but when it happens it is for a short period of time only.
- As is the case for all new operating systems, there is a period of acclimation that needs to be adhered too. No major changes here, but the fact remains that learning the refinements that Windows 8 offers needs to be understood.
- Graphics are integrated using shared memory so this laptop isn’t for those wanting to play the latest games on high detail settings.
Guarantee: 1-year limited warranty.
Value for money?
The responsiveness and the power that the Toshiba Satellite S855-S5379 15.6 inch laptop has and the low cost associated with it, makes it one of the best value Quad-core laptops on the market now. Once getting past the enhancements of coping with Windows 8 changes, will make this laptop an integral part of life to accomplish tasks at home.